The person who's responsible for repairs if a tree branch falls on your car depends on when and how the accident happens. Comprehensive insurance covers repairs if your vehicle gets damaged by a tree that you own. However, if the tree branch fell due to neglect from its owner, you must file premises liability.
When do I qualify for premises liability?
If your parked on the street and a branch snaps off from a large tree leaning over somebody else's fence and lands on your car, you're eligible to apply for premises liability.
You've got proof that the owner didn't correctly maintain the tree, making them liable for the damage caused by their negligence.
How do I make a premises liability claim?
The process of making your claim is as follows:
- Make a formal claim with your state police within 30 days.
- Take pictures and document the accident.
- After 6 months, you get contacted by a government official who works to resolve your claim.
The same process applies if the tree belongs to a state park or city garden.
When do I qualify for insurance coverage?
Comprehensive insurance covers the damage if the fallen branch is from your own tree. This policy covers all repairs, minus your deductible.
How do I make a comprehensive insurance claim?
- Document the entire accident. Take as many pictures as possible and write down the details of the accident.
- Contact your insurance company and file a claim.
- Wait for help to arrive before you try to drive your car. You don't want to cause any further damage and affect the claims process.
3 things to consider when making a claim for damage done by a tree branch
- Use your insurer's preferred body shop to speed up the repair process. Progressive provides a $50 discount on repairs when done at an AAA approved shop. Contact Progressive to get an easy quote, today!
- Making a claim for the accident causes your insurance rates to rise. Protect your car by storing it in a garage and avoid parking under large trees.
- All companies provide comprehensive coverage at a different rate. Compare at least 3 different quotes before you purchase your policy.
Get the best coverage for your tree branch damage, now!
Get instant quotes tailored to your needs - fill out our short form, today!