Elephant Insurance has excellent coverage options and affordable rates. They offer ample discount options that most people qualify for, increasing their affordability. However, Elephant has less-than-stellar customer service reviews.
Elephant insurance overview
Founded in 2009, Elephant is a small company available in Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, Ohio, and Virginia.
Elephant sells policies directly to consumers, both online and through the phone with upwards of 40% off your premium using Elephant’s discounts.
Elephant has 24/7 Claims Service online or by telephone as well as 24/7 online policy management. You can also purchase a 12-month policy and receive quotes online within minutes.
Additional coverage options
Elephant offers typical car insurance coverage types, including comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance and rental reimbursement coverage. It also offers:
- Legal Assistance Coverage: Pays for legal fees associated with traffic charges, estate planning, family law and more.
- Diminishing Deductible: $100 off your collision deductible immediately and another $100 each year you’re accident-free, up to $500. Only available if you have collision coverage, and it must be purchased with the initial policy or at renewal.
Filing a claim is relatively simple. You have 2 options:
Policyholders have access to the claims department 24/7 through the online claims center. An agent responds to you to collect information from you. The entire process should take roughly 15-20 minutes.
- Wide Variety Of Discounts: Discounts include a Good Driver Discount, Multi-Policy Discount, Good Student Discounts and so much more!
- Direct-To-Consumer Insurer: One on one support and customizations for your policies.
- Competitive Rates: On average, insurance quotes were 9% lower than their competitors.
- Lack Of Locations: Only available in 7 states (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, Ohio, and Virginia).
- Higher Than Average Number Of Complaints: The NAIC reported Elephant as having a complaint ratio index of 2.76, nearly 3x the national median of 1.00.
- Property and Bodily Liability Insurance: Liability insurance covers medical bills and property damage you cause other people. Required in most states.
- Medical Payments Coverage: This coverage helps to pay for your medical bills after an accident. Required in some states.
- Personal Injury Protection: PIP covers medical bills for you and your passengers. Required in some states.
- Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist Insurance: This type of coverage protects you when you’re hit by a driver who doesn’t have insurance. This also covers you when their insurance limits don't cover the full amount of damage. Required in some states.
- Collision Insurance: Collision insurance covers your car repairs after an accident. It doesn't matter who's at fault. Optional.
- Comprehensive Insurance: This insurance covers damage from things outside of your control. This includes fires, floods, and vandalism. Optional.
- Rental Reimbursement: This coverage reimburses you for a rental car. This is important when you're waiting for your car to be repaired after an accident.
- Roadside Assistance: Roadside assistance reimburses you for towing and other similar services. Optional.
Elephant Insurance discounts
Elephant offers a variety of discounts to lower your rates further. Almost any one is able to qualify for most of these discounts, so be sure to take advantage of what you're able to!
- Responsible Driver Discount: Remain accident-free for 5 years and receive a discount up to 10%.
- Good Student Discount: If you're a student who gets good grades (Bs or higher), you're eligible for up to a 12% discount.
- Online Quotes: Get a 15% discount for using their online tool for an instant quote.
- Payment In Full: Receive an up to 13.5% discount for paying for your insurance in full.
- Electronic Signature Discount: Get a $100 discount for signing your paperwork electronically.
- Multi-Policy Discount: Save up to 9% by having multiple policies with Elephant Insurance.
- Multi-Car Discount: Save up to 27% by having multiple cars insured with Elephant.
Consider Elephant Insurance if...
Elephant Insurance is a top choice for drivers looking for inexpensive coverage.
Elephant's competitive rates and ample discount options provide low premiums with great value. The Diminishing Deductible is also a good way to lower your rates by remaining accident-free.
Consider alternatives to Elephant Insurance if...
If you're not located in one of the 7 covered states, you'll have to look elsewhere.
If customer service is very important to you, Elephant may not be your best choice as it received a complaint ratio roughly 3x the national average for car insurance companies.
What's my best insurance option?
Fill out our short form to receive free quotes, instantly!