Shelter Auto Insurance is a leading provider in 15 states in the U.S. They offer affordable liability, collision and comprehensive coverage. You also get many discounts to help you cut back on your annual premiums. Shelter Insurance is also known for their varied coverage options, such as accidental death and gap insurance.
Shelter Auto Insurance overview
Shelter Auto Insurance established itself in 1946 and was started by the Missouri Farmers Association (the same company as MFA Incorporated). They now have decades of insurance experience, making them a very reliable provider.
The company is based in Columbia, Missouri and continues to impress with their wide range of coverage options and many discounts. Their aim is to give you high-quality coverage for the lowest possible price.
Shelter Insurance provides auto coverage to the following 15 states:
Shelter Insurance works hard to ensure you peace of mind. They offer you additional features such as accidental death coverage, gap insurance and disability payouts. This makes them stand out from other leading insurance companies.
- Online service: Get a user-friendly online portal for claims and payments.
- 24-hour service: Representatives are available to you around the clock, making it easy for you to make a claim.
- Mobile App: Shelter Auto Insurance has a mobile app that allows you to easily manage your policy, get quotes or make claims.
- Roadside Assistance: Get towing, tire changes, winching services and more if your car breaks down.
- Limited coverage area: Shelter Auto Insurance only provides coverage to 15 U.S. states. If you don’t live in one of these states, you can’t get coverage.
- No high-risk coverage: If you have a DUI, or multiple blemishes on your driving record, you can’t get affordable coverage. Shelter Insurance doesn’t offer SR-22 coverage.
- Collision Coverage: Damage caused to your car during an at-fault accident gets covered. This policy doesn’t include medical bills.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Covers damage done to your car that isn’t caused by another vehicle. It includes theft, severe weather, a falling tree branch or telephone pole, etc.
- Uninsured motorists coverage: If you’re involved in an accident with a hit-and-run driver, your auto repairs get covered.
- Property damage liability: Damages caused to someone else’s property during a collision are paid for.
- Bodily injury liability: You’re covered for injury that you cause to someone else. This is an essential service if you drive daily.
- Rental reimbursement: Get a rental car after your car goes in for repairs. You’re reimbursed the cost of the daily fees.
- Accidental death: If someone dies during a car accident, then Shelter Insurance pays for you, your spouse or other family members.
- Disability income coverage: You get paid a weekly payment for up to 12 months if you’re disabled in an accident.
- Gap insurance: If your leased car is totaled, Shelter helps you pay the difference in the value for repairs and your outstanding loan.
- Loss of use: If your car is in for repairs, you get a one-time payment to help you afford the costs of a rental car. This isn’t the same as rental car replacement, as you don’t have to use the money on a rental. You’re able to use it for buses or other modes of public transport.
Shelter Auto Insurance discounts
- Good Student Discount: Save on your yearly premiums if you’re a student under 25. Shelter Auto Insurance provides this discount to students with a GPA of 3.0 (B).
- Paid-in-Full Discount: Get a lower auto premium by paying up front and in full.
- Multi-Car Discount: You’re eligible for a discounted rate with Shelter Auto Insurance if you insure many vehicles on one policy.
- Anti-Theft Discount: Install anti-theft features in your car and get a discount on your yearly premium.
- Safe Driver Discount: Get a reduced price with Shelter Insurance if you’ve gone 3-5 years without an at-fault accident.
Consider Shelter Auto Insurance, if…
Shelter Auto Insurance is the best option for people living in one of their 15 listed states. They provide personalized insurance quotes that match your needs and preferences. This includes car and home policy bundles, as well as business and health policies.
They’re also a fantastic option for people who have a long-standing clean driving record. Their many available discounts help you to cut back on your auto premiums.
Consider alternatives to Shelter Auto Insurance, if…
Shelter Auto Insurance only provides coverage for 15 U.S. states. If you don’t live in one of these states, you need to look elsewhere for coverage. If you have multiple marks, such as tickets and accidents, then your premiums are likely to be very expensive. In this case, you’re better off looking for a non-standard insurer.
What’s my best insurance option?
When shopping for car insurance it's important to compare several quotes side-by-side. This gives you the best pricing & coverage options.
Fill out our short form to receive free quotes, instantly!