Can You Have A Car Registered In One State And Live In Another?

Updated 3 days ago
Get cheap insurance quotes, today!
Our team will help you find the lowest insurance prices.
Get Started →

You typically can't have a car registered in one state and live in another. On average, you're able to stay in another state for 90 days while maintaining coverage from the state that your car is registered in. If you extend this period, you may face fraud charges and increased premiums.

Can I get insurance if my car is registered in one state and live in another?

This simple answer is no. To be insured, you must be living in the same state your car is registered in. You can't purchase your car insurance from another state in hopes of paying cheaper rates as it's considered fraud.

If you're traveling to another state for work-related reasons or vacation, speak to your insurance provider for clearance. In most cases, your insurer grants leniency for up to 90 days.

It's on rare occasions that your insurance provider allows you to register your car in a different state, and you need to meet specific requirements.

What if I am a student who lives away from home?

As a student, you might have your car garaged at your parent's home while you attend school out-of-state. Therefore, your vehicle is registered in a different state than the one you currently live in.

When you get your insurance policy, inform your insurer that you're a student away from home. If your car is garaged and registered in another state, you're still liable for auto insurance from the state that you live in.

Progressive offers a Live Away From Home discount to students between ages 16-22. Contact Progressive to get your quote, today!

What if I am on vacation for longer than 90 days?

If you're on vacation in another state for longer than the minimum of 90 days, you need auto insurance coverage from that state.

To apply for coverage from another state while on vacation, contact your current provider.

The state you're visiting provides insurance as long as you have clearance for your travels from your current insurance provider.

What if I have a two-car family?

A family with two cars might have a family member who lives in Florida and another who lives in Texas. In this case, you need two separate car insurance policies. Both cars can't be covered by the same auto insurance if they're registered in two different states.

What if I'm an active member of the military?

If you're an active member of the military, you're granted the choice of which state you want to deem as your state of residence. Register and insure your car in this state to receive coverage.

How do I avoid fraud charges?

Speak to your insurance provider and get clearance for your trips to avoid fraud charges when driving your car between states. By making sure that your insurer knows that you're going out-of-state, you remain covered if you're in an accident.

If you don't, your provider declines your claim and you're vulnerable to a fraud charge if in an accident.

3 things to consider when registering and insuring your car

  • When you register your car, register it in the state that you live in. That's the best way to get legal coverage from the chosen auto insurance provider in your state.
  • Get clearance for interstate travel to maintain your auto insurance coverage.
  • If you're caught registering your car in a different state than the one you live in, you may face a fraud charge.

Get the best coverage your car (if it's in another state)

Get instant quotes tailored to your needs - fill out our short form, today!

Get cheap insurance quotes, today!
Our team will help you find the lowest insurance prices.
Get Started →