Unfortunately, you can't title a car in a minor's name. Generally, your teen needs to be 18 or 19 to legally own a vehicle, but the age limit varies by state. Register your minor's car under your name until your teen is old enough to title his or her own vehicle.
Can I register a car in a minor's name?
You can't legally register a car under the name of someone who doesn't have a license. This means that even minors who have a learner's permit can't title a vehicle under their name.
Typically, by the age of 18, your teen is no longer considered a minor. However, in some states, your teen needs to be 19 before legally driving or owning their car.
As a parent, title the car under your name until your teen is old enough to swap the title over.
How do I insure my minor's car?
Insurance companies don't cover drivers who can't legally be on the road. However, there are ways for you to get coverage, including:
- Insure the minor under your policy: If you've got a minor's car insured under your policy, it's covered. This continues to be a cheaper option even when they've got their own license. Sharing a policy with a parent cuts back the high insurance rates new drivers pay. Allstate provides huge discounts if you're a student under your parent's policy. Contact Allstate to get your quote, today!
- List yourself as the primary driver: Exclude your minor from the list of drivers. List yourself, or another family member with a full license, as the primary driver of the vehicle.
3 things to consider about getting your car registered or insured as a minor
- Staying on your parent's policy is a fantastic way to save money on high auto insurance premiums. It also provides a way for minors to insure their cars.
- Although you can't register your car as a minor, it's possible to buy a car if you have a learner's permit. The vehicle needs to get registered under the name of someone who's not a minor and who owns a full license. Once you're old enough to have your full license, move the title over to your own name.
- As a minor, listing somebody else as the primary driver of your vehicle may not be possible. Ask your provider to explain what your options are.
How do I get the cheapest insurance rates on my minor's vehicle?
Get instant quotes tailored to your needs - fill out our short form, today!